On wednesday, my first day in the new department, I was walking back from the adult A&E area through to the children's side. I sometimes lack a sense of direction and found tiiquite confusing on the first day finding my way around. I frequently walked round with a grin on my face as I laughed at myself for once again walking down the wrong section of corridor and as I wondered what people thought as they saw me walking past them, turning around empty handed and walking back again.
So I was walking back to the children's side when I was approached by a rather disshevelled, shifty looking man in his 20's. My first thought was that he was either a drug addict or someone with mental health problems who'd not been taking their miedication, because I am in no way a judgemental person! Nor do I ever make sweeping generalisations! He asked me where the toilet was, and I was a little unsure so I asked if the nursing staff had told him it was this way. I then figured out where I was going and apologised.
"Sorry, it's my first day here"
To which he responded something along the lines of...
"It's going to be my last day here" and walked into the toilet, locking the door behind him.
I got a little worried at this point at the strange way he'd phrased "It's going to be my last" and I was a little concerned that he'd gone into the toilets to top himself! That perhaps he'd not been told where the toilet was for a reason and I'd just aided him in finding himself a quiet spot!
I then told myself not to be so silly and carried about my business, looking out for him the next time I walked through. Fortunatly he was sitting there looking very alive and well, if still rather unkempt in appearence. Phew!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Lol, poor bloke, he only wanted to do a wee! Imagine if you had got some other staff members knocking on the door shouting "Sir! Are you alright? Stand away from the door; we're coming in!"
Hehe, yep! It's a good thing I have a sensible side sometimes to override my flair for the dramatic!
Oh, and apologies to anybody I offended with my sweeping generlisations. They are just that, born out of ignorance and not to be taken too seriously.
Post a Comment