Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Political rant

On another blog I was just reading someone made a comment asking who the writer would vote for, Cameron or Brown, and I just had to make a post. This is something that I really disike: People consider the Conservatives and Labour to be the only contenders in the general elections, perhaps they are, but only because some people have already decided this and choose to vote for the lesser evil and not the party they actually feel would best represent their interests.

Whilst I understand why poeple tactically vote, I think it's really important that people vote for the party they feel should be in power, not the lesser of two evils; if poeple always do this there will never be any change. What's the point in living in a democracy and having the right to choose from a variety of political parties if it's not exercised.

Take the Liberal Democrats for example, they've not been in power for ages and poeple don't consider that they'd have a chance in a General Election. I know poeple who would vote for them but because they don't think they can win choose to vote Labour or Conservative. If those people actually voted for the LibDems we might see a change in government, but it's a cycle - people don't think they have a chance, so they don't vote, so they don't have a chance.

Now, from reading this you may just think it a Pro-LibDem rant, but it's something that I feel really strongly about. People complain about Labour and the Conservatives, but they don't have the motivation or courage to try and make a change, be that voting for the LibDems or Greenpeace or whoever.

Which brings me finally to a quote I have written on my bedroom wall.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." Bernard Shaw

Why should we settle? We have reasons to be grateful certainly, when we compare our country and political system to others, but that doesn't mean we should stop striving for change and improvement.

All done!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree Angela. I am a very apolitical person but feel strongly that unless you use your vote you cannot complain. However, the cynic in me seems to see that no matter what banner the incumbent bunch of muppets ascribes to they come out with the same rubbish and ineffectiveness. They all seem to blame their failures to deliver their promises on the 'mess' they have 'just' discovered the outgoing government left and if we vote them in for a second term then they can really start delivering - yawn!

So with no hope in my heart of any seeing any real improvements I continue to totter off to the local polling station to vote for whichever Scottish Muppet seems to have made some sense during their campaign and has neither been caught sleeping with a rent boy or is currently under investigation for misappropriation of funds.

Sometimes the choice is VERY limited when all three criteria need to be met to get my vote.

Best wishes,
Lucy

Angela said...

Hi Lucy! It's a nice start to my morning to see someone else hsa been reading my blog!

Thank you for your comments. I tend to agree with the cynic in you, but perhaps due to my tender age am still hopeful of change!

I can see that the choice might be limited with such high expectations! It's hard enough to find one that makes sense, let alone with those other criteria!

:)