Wednesday, January 03, 2007

I'm an exhibitionist

Oh yes, and we also have another Enquiry Based Learning presentation to, umm, present this module. Whilst I don't like EBL I have to say it has improved throughout the course and I've discovered it does have some value!

There are currently only 10 people in my child branch cohort, we did have 18 when we first started the course and 2 of our current members have joined us from other groups so, more simply put, 10 people have left the group in the 3 years. That was a little off topic (but an ineresting side note with regards to attrition rates), what I was going to say is that each module we have to do an EBL presentation to the group, usually in 2-3 small groups. I really don't mind the presenting at all (I'm such an exhibitionist); we have a supportive group, though some poeple loathe it. This module we are required to choose our own EBL subject/scenario and present it to the whole cohort (adult, child, mental health), about 100 people.

It's not the number of people that worries me, but the type of people we'll be presenting to and the disrespect and rudeness that they have shown our lecturers in past joint sessions.

But you know the thing that really gets me? The Med students, dental students and post-grad nursing students have to do something called PBL - Problem Based Learning... "PeBbLe". It sounds much cooler that "E-B-L".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Angela,

I've worked with both PBL and EBL systems and there is a third Inquiry Based Learning (IBL). Educational purists will argue there are great semantic differences between each one, and there are in theory, but in most medical curricula they really do come out the same in the wash. Be reassured medical schools have taken PBL to heart but the trend setters go for EBL. (so feel smug)

The greatest differences between these systems really comes from how good the facilitators are and how motivated/accepting of educational responsibility the students are.

One hundred as a composite group having to plough through lots of resolution sessions at the one time sounds to me like a recipe for disaster. Most people are either nervous about awaiting their turn, post-adrenaline rush after their turn or if not doing either then plain bored. Sitting through a long session comprising lots of small presentations is like watching other folks holiday photos. You can see they had a great time and it was very important to them but it is often difficult to get excited by it unless you see the immidiate need for this info. If the joint session is not working then maybe as a group you may need to feed this back at the evaluation?

Anyway, do choose a good topic and have fun exploring it. I always chose ones that got me lots of visits out to other specialties or professional groups.

Lucy

Angela said...

Hmm... IBL... Ibble. That has a nice ring to it.

We haven't always been the most motivated students when it has come to EBL - however as we have progressed through the course I think we've found them easier to approach, as we've had a greater understanding of what is expected. I think the facilitation has also improved, definitely from the first one we did.

You're right, it does sound like a recipe for disaster! I think it's all part of this module's theme of interprofessional practice. If it is as horrendous as I expect it to be I shall feed that back in the Evaluation for the module.

I'll have a think about a topic. I'm not sure whether we'll be doing it two groups or not. Thinking about it, there are going to be an awful lot of presentations to sit through. Maybe I'll take a book, at least then I won't be talking through it and will have an engaged/interested look on my face!