Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Band 5 Interview questions

So this is a list of Band 5 Interview questions based on those my collegaues and I have been asked, and those I had been prepared for. I'll update this when I remember more.

Questions
Tell me something interesting about yourself
Tell me something about your training so far
Why do you want to work for this department
Why do you want to take part ina rotation programme
What do you think the changes will be when moving from student to staff nurse
How do you feel about the change from student to staff nurse
How do you maintain professional boundaries with patients and other staff
What is the MDT and what does it mean
Describe two elements of the NSF
What were some of the reccomedations made by Lord Laming's report
What was the most challenging part of training to be a nurse
What criticism have you received and how have you learned from it
Talk about two situations that you have felt vulnerable in
What is clinical governence/What is your role in clinical governence
What is your role in risk management
What piece of literature/research have you read and how it has changed your practice
What makes a good communicator
Why might a neonate be admitted to intensive care or special care
What is family centred care
What skills are necessary for good team work


Scenarios
You walk into a cubicle and see a nurse slapping a child, what do you do?

A 15 year old already consented by her parents to have an orthopaedic operation is now refusing to have it done and she tells you that she is pregnant. What would you do?

You notice a bruise on the back of a child when examining them. What would you do?

You go to collect a patient from theatre, what would you prepare before collecting the child and what would you do when collecting them?

You are admitting an 18month old with ?pneumonia from A&E what would you need to prepare before their arrival and what would you need to do on their arrival.

Patient prioritisation scenario
3 patients you have to look after.
A 4 year newly diagnosed insulin dependent diabetic who required regular BM's and insulin
An 8 year old asthmatic stable over night but still requiring 4 hourly nebulisers and a dose of prednisalone
A newborn baby in withdrawal requiring morphine injections. The parents aren't present. (I think that baby was in withdrawal, I'm suddenly having a panic that that was an assumption I made)
Q1: After receiving handover what are the first things you would do
Q2: In which order would you prioritise your patient and why

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi I came across your blog quite by chance. I'm glad I did. I've often mulled over the thought of doing nursing over the years. But if you come to my blog you will see what is stopping me. It's a very big issue, no?

I'm adding your url to my linxx to come back to. What a thoughtful idea of you to provide such interesting links.

Isn't it true, btw that Hewitt's nhs now cannot even guarantee every newly qualified nurse a job? Or even new junior doctors?

If so -- that is an outrage!

You're welcome to visit my blog: gledwood2.blogspot.com. Have fun there!

All the best 2u

from

Gledwood

Angela said...

Hello Gledwood,

Speedy, that post coudln't have been up for more than a couple of minutes before you commented.

I've just glanced over your blog, I'll have more of a read - I'd like to email you but I can't see an address, drop me a mail if you're curious and then I can mail back.

I think it's pretty outrageous too. It seems mad that the hospitals are training nurses and unable to employ them afterwards. The most infuriating part is that it's not because we're overstaffed - we are understaffed, there just isn't any money for it.

Thanks for stopping by, feel free too again :)

Take care

Angela

Anonymous said...

Hey!
Just came across your blog, it's a great idea. Very helpful too, as I am just in the process of applying for jobs so your interview questions have come in very handy!
thanks! :-)

Anonymous said...

hi found your blog by chance looking for band 6 interview questions wondered if you could help
paula