Friday, January 12, 2007

Informal visits and ketamine

I had my second informal visit today. This hospital (B) is the first one I saw were recruiting, local to me and I was really interested in working there. However my visit today was a disapointment and I left the place with a really negative feeling about it, though I had expected to like it. I can't quite place what it was that I didn't like, but defnitely the person showing me around and his attitude and lack of knowledge abotu the wards, the feeling/impression I got from some of the staff, and the general atmosphere and impression of the wards. Particularly in comparison to the other place (A) where I was very impressed with the environment and the staff, and particularly the person showing me around as he was very knowledgable, seemed prepared for my visit and helpful. The person today was blowing the hospital's trumpet a lot and criticising the place where I had trained, unnecessarily I felt, I didn't feel he needed to make the comparisons. We also spoke to a member of staff who felt she'd been promised a lot in the way of traning when she joined in september but that they hadn't delivered on that. I'm put off applying as I really don't want to work there now so I just have to hope HospitalA offer me a position before HospitalB! Providing either of them do of course.

I'm a bit concerned that I'm not going to qualify on time because I have sick time to make up, and theuniversity are being incredibly slow (as with everything adminsitration) to inform my group of how many hours we'll need to do. At the moment I'm working a lot of 4 day weeks and 2 days weeks, I could easily start adding in extra shifts to make up time and save time at the end if they would inform us.

I need to stop worrying, it doesn't change anything and it's a waste of energy.

Something else about yesterday's shift that I had meant ot write about. I had my first experience with ketamine, not personally experience obviously! We had a little boy with an arm laceration that needed to be stitched and he was given ketamine to relax hima nd make him sleepy. It didn't work 100% but it worked fairly well. Apparently it puts them into a dream like state and they see odd things, but they won't remember it afterwards. This little boy kept saying he could see two mummies, and that his mummy had two supermans whatever that meant! Kudos to his mother. She was brilliant, not all parents deal with that kind of thing well particularly and their stressed/upset/hysterical response usually makes the child more distressed increasing the parents' anxiety and it becomes a bit of a cycle.

No comments: