Monday, November 20, 2006

Diploma vs. Degree

I'm due to qualify in April, I wasn't really looking forward to it for several reasons.
a) I've got so much work to do between now and then I just want to give up and sleep through the winter
b) I'm not entirely sure I'm ready to be a staff nurse. Don't misunderstand me, I actually think I'm good at what I do (a rarity for me) and have the potential to be a good staff nurse I'm just not sure I feel ready to go out there and do it yet
c) I actually have to find a job

I'm so close to finishing it seems almost impossible yet I know, despite a,b and c, it will be a relief in some ways. So why am I now considering doing an extra year?

I've trained on a 3 year Diploma course, Degree or Diploma I exit the programme as a registered nurse child branch. I left school with just AS Levels, when I decided I wanted to do nursing a Diploma was the best option, I could have done an extra year at school to get onto a degree programme but the funding is better on the Diploma and it seemed like the best idea at the time. Afterall, I don't need a degree to be a good nurse.

During my training I realised that I want to get the degree at some point, I had thought CPD modules later when I'd qualified would be a good idea. However, my university runs a "top up" course full time for a year starting the month after I qualify. I'm planning on applying for it, my (ever supportive and loving) parents will help support me for another year and it seems better than trying to to it later when I may have other commitments like a mortgage or a family.

Why do I want a degree? Well there's definitely an issue of pride. Employability, well either way I'd be a registered nurse but in these cash strapped times who would a ward rather employ; a diploma nurse who wants to be sponsered to degree or someone who already has a degree? If faced with two applicants, a good diploma nurse and a not-so-good degree nurse I don't believe having the diploma would disavantage, however being on an even pegging in terms of "goodness" greater qualification has to be a bonus. If I leave nursing having a degree, regardless of it's relevence, will be looked on positively. If I want to go on to do more study, which I think I will, having the degree now will make it easier to access other courses. Finally, it is not going to disadvantage me doing an extra year of study and having more qualifications.

Do I really want to do an extra year? I was looking forward to these essays being the last I would have to write for the foreseeable future, I don't relish the idea of further study now. But I feel it would be better to get out of the way whilst I can. With regards to a,b and c...
a) doesnt' really change, I've always fancied hibernation as a life choice.
b) I would have another year to feel ready to be a grown up, maybe I won't feel ready then either but I certainly will have more experience under the safety net of being a student (though realistically I'll have a PIN and seeing as I don't seem to be counted as supernumery now I can't see that I will be then).
c) Perhaps the job climate will have changed by then.

The other downside is that on the Diploma course my tuition fees were paid and I received a nice bursary, this I will not get for the extra year and I anticipate the fees being quite high, I'll have to take out a loan (I've not needed to thus far) and be poor for a year whilst my friends go out and work and earn the millions nursing has to offer.However, at just 21 I have my whole life ahead of me, one extra year is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Of course, all this is subject to my application and acceptance onto the programme however as one of their current students I think it unlikely I wouldn't be. So I'm now trying to mentally prepare myself for another year of essay writing and new found poverty.

If you read this far you deserve a cookie.

3 comments:

Mr Mans Wife said...

*Patiently waits for her cookie*

Angela said...

Chocolate chip? Double chocolate chip? Chocolate chip and hazelnut? Oh, the endless possibilities!

Mr Mans Wife said...

Hmm... can I have one of those big chewy ones with the chocolate chunks rather than chips? :)