Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Portfolio and A&E

Today I'm trying to write my Portfolio essay. It's a 4,000 word essay reflecting on my last 2 years of training and discussing my strengths, my weaknesses and how I intend to develop these when I qualify.

It's due on the 5th of January, and whilst I could write it before then I'm a little worried I'm not going to have ad raft ready for my tutor before they break up for Christmas, and I'd really like not to fail this one. I think I've left it a little bit late! But I definitely needed the holiday, I was quite stressed! I'm only just realising how much more work I need to do in a short time, I hadn't really thought about my tutor not working over Christmas.

I really must get comments emailed to me or something. The lovely Mr Mans Wife has left me several interesting and encouraging comments on older posts that I didn't notice until today. I promise to notice all future comments!

I was thinking back to my A&E placement, the best I've had by far and thinking about some of the things I saw and did there. I think I'll post about that sometime. But two situations sprang to mind today.

We had a mother bring her baby into the triage room. I can't remember the age exactly, but around a year old. The child was alert and smiley.
Nurse: Hello mum, what's brought you to see us today?
Mum: Bobby didn't sleep well last night
Nurse: Okay *makes note* so what is it that made you decide to come to the accident and emergency department? What has concerned you?
Mum: Bobby didn't sleep very well.

The child was very well, alert, smiling, had no temperature, no history of cough or cold. Now I know parents know their children and it's important to listen to their concerns, but there was nothing wrong with this child! The part that got me was her only concern was that he didn't sleep well last night... well what did she think we could do it about it the next day in A&E?

Another day I was out with a LAS crew and we were called to an unwell child with abdominal pain. The child hadn't passed urine in about 12 hours (though that was overnight) and he had a mild abdominal pain and a slight temperature. Now the child looked a little peaky, but nothing awful. They decided to run the child to the local hospital, at which point they ask who will be accompanying them in the ambulance.
Dad: I will. My wife will take our other children in the car and follow us.

... So why didn't you just drive to your GP, Walk-In Centre or A&E in the first place instead of calling an ambulance?

We also had numerous cases of children coming into the A&E department with a complaint of itchy eyes and sneezing. It was the summer. Yes, you've guessed it. It was hayfever.

I do worry about some people.

5 comments:

call911 said...

its rly nice of u to worry about ppl. ppl always have problems..fragile creatures..ah well also good look with that thing ure writing :p

Angela said...

Yep, people always giving me something to worry about. But I guess that's part of my job, so I had best get used to it!

Mr Mans Wife said...

*Blushes* Thank you Angela, I don't get called lovely by that many people!

Some people are amazingly... dim aren't they? I really think people need training in when to use A&E or 999 and when not to. I'm always worried about wasting the time of these important services so I always call the out of hours doctors "just for advice" and let them decide if I/Mr Man actually need to be seen.

Mr Mans Wife said...

Thanks for the photo's by the way, they were great. I'll try to reply to your email soon.

Angela said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the photos, take your time with the email, Iunderstand not everyone is a slacker like me!

I agree I think people need training on when to call, just a glance over RandomReality or NeeNaw shows you that people really use the services inappropriately. It should just be common sense really!