I've considered this for a while, and decided to restart a blog. My life as a student nurse can be interesting, or terribly dull, but it often provides me with something I'd like to write about, failing that, there's always the Metro... Which brings me onto today's topic.
Reading the Metro on my way into work on thursday I came across this little snippet. A survey conducted by Hasbro (makers of the board game The Big Taboo) found that nudity was still rated the greatest modern taboo, 37%. Wearing Hoodies came in at 12%... How ridiculous! But the bit that really got me was that 9% voted for breast feeding and only 2% were upset by farting.
Where have we gone so wrong? The breast has become a sexual object, I've often heard that cited as a reason that women dislike the idea of breast feeding, but it's a natural thing, it's been around for years, and is far better for the baby than formula feeding. I understand it's a personal choice but this country has got a really strange attitude towards it; we should be encouraging mothers not shunning those who choose to.
The other Metro article that interested me that day was the idea that doctors would be banned from wearing novelty socks and ties etc. How long before we ban a sense of humour? It also said that nurses are on the hitlist for see-through clothing, clothing too loose or too tight. See-through clothing? What kind of "nurse" have they been visiting?
Final thought for today, can a person change? Are our personalities innate, unchangeable? And if we do change, are we denying ourself?
For those of you who read this far, well done, pat yourself on the back
Sunday, October 29, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hmm...a lot to comment on there!
Firstly, you say you have "restarted" your blog, so you wrote one before? Why did you stop? And is it still available somewhere on the net?
Secondly, the breast feeding thing. I'm with you on that one. Women either don't try, give up too easily, or decide in advance that they will only breast feed for x amount of weeks/months. What do they think mothers did before the invention of formula?
I was embarrassed by it when I was a child, obviously due to how my thinking had been conditioned, but now I think it's perfectly natural. I'm sure I heard that there is a law against trying to stop a woman from breast feeding in public?
Banning a sense of humour - you mean that hasn't been done already?
And can a person change? Yes, if they want to. Are they denying themselves? It depends on the persons attitude and motive for changing.
Post a Comment